[lbo-talk] Wallerstein & Nader etc.

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Jan 30 11:09:40 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Dawson -PSU" <mdawson at pdx.edu>

> I'm not saying this is the conclusion I've reached, but it seems as
tempting
> as watching a Kerry vote swirl down the crapper in November. Plus, after
> Kerry loses with no Nader presence, doesn't the DLC gain power again? --
> "Kerry wasn't centrist enough."

Though he is a wooden patrician, Kerry is not unelectable. If someone gave me 2/1 odds on the general election, I'd take Kerry in a heartbeat. Some people are under the impression that 2000 was a more favorable election cycle for the Dem presidential nominee than 2004. I think this is a mistake: I believe Bush was running ahead of Gore by a distinct margin during the primaries and held his lead until the Democratic convention. Kerry is running ahead of Bush at the moment.

http://www.prospect.org/webfeatures/2004/01/meyerson-h-01-29.html

-- Luke