[lbo-talk] Discsretion or Flaunting-it Issue 2308

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 31 07:03:35 PST 2004

Doug: So the piece does mention her Alzheimer's. But I> asked around in London and it wasn't widely known - not like Ronnie's here. Despite > the rude obits, they're so discreet in life. Hari: You know there is mythology that the British are 'discreet' & 'tightlipped' & less 'open' - than either the americans or the Canadians. It is a myth in my view. Frank, hard hitting debate - at least in Canada - is simply frowned upon. This applies nt only to daily life, but very much so in academia. The Canuck runs a mile in academia before acknowledging differences. They discreetly brush it under the carpet. This is to what I was used to in Blighty. My sense is that in the USA there is an additional level of Puritanism on top of this 'discretion'. People from the continent pick up on this very quickly too. Just my view, H