[lbo-talk] CounterPunch joining forces with the ISO?

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 18:00:51 PST 2004

http://www.counterpunch.org/philion01272004.html January 27, 2004 Ritter Was Right; Kay Was Wrong My Exchange with CNN's Aaron Brown

By STEVE PHILION

Steve, as Calvin Trillin used to joke about Victor Navasky, did Alex C. pay you in the, "high two figures, "?

http://www.bartleby.com/66/26/61526.html “I hate to bring up a subject that may cause you to break out in hives,” I said, “but what were you thinking of paying me for each of these columns?” “We were thinking of something in the high two figures, “ Navasky said.

Counterpunch has in the last few yrs. had a smattering of ISO figures like Anthony Arnove. Looking over the recent highlighted pieces I see, Lee Sustar from the ISO. But, also Conn Hallinan, who I occasionally have kibbitzed with. Conn, of the famous fighting Hallinan boxing brothers, when he taught a journalism class @ UCSC that Nancy Netherland, a friend took when we were undergrads there, suggested she contribute to the PWW of the CPUSA http://www.cpusa.org/ http://www.pww.org/ . Around the same time, the local CPUSA club in Santa Cruz tried to recruit Nancy...with such inducements as copies of books by Gus Hall! (When Nancy was reading tons of Foucault, Kristeva, Helene Cixous and Donna Haraway, why such exciting reading matter as 'ol Gus, was really what she was looking for.)