[lbo-talk] The Green Party's Political Suicide

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 08:18:18 PDT 2004

>For a Green Party candidate, what's worse than
>driving under the influence is campaigning under the
>influence, i.e., under the influence of the
>Democratic Party. Fortunate individuals can survive
>DUI, physically and politically. No such luck in the
>case of CUI, a self-destructive behavior which sets a
>third party on a sure road to certain political
death.

forgive me, yoshie, but, to paraphrase les mccann, "certain political death" compared to what? while i don't relish the propect of the greens carrying any water whatsoever for the dems, it's foolish to expect any breaks on the presidential front with nader as opposed to cobb. worse, emphasizing the spectacle of the presidential contest as an anti-war platform does nothing to emphasize local grassroots organizing, the only place the greens have (and could hope to have) any success, unless you draw from those grassroots. that's what the party did by nominating cobb/lamarche, not the candidate who has taken all the advantages of green party support over the past two presidential elections and, in a remarkable display of entitlement, did nothing to seek their nomination a third time, only to complain when he didn't get it.

and, hello! hasn't ralph been meeting with kerry, advising him publicly on choosing john edwards as his running mate, and going around claiming how he was trying to prevent george bush from being elected, never quite explaining how he'd accomplish this? who the hell does nader think will replace bush for all his (nader's) efforts, lyndon larouche? credit the greens now running for their honesty about what they hope their chances are, and the results they might even cast a ballot towards vouchsafing. like cobb, i agree this election is a modest, but undeniable, choice between lesser and demonstrably greater evils.

personally, i was hoping new paltz mayor jason west, my favorite housepainter-cum-politcian of all time, would win the nomination. better luck in '08, jase.

Art is algebra plus fire.

-- Borges

_____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance