[lbo-talk] "Stupid Gay Men on the Left"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 1 19:38:22 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Re: naderphobia (psychopathology of?)
>Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
>Thu Jul 1 18:00:18 PDT 2004
>
> >His desire to ban ponography certainly makes him a threat on sexual issues.
>
>Not that I disagree about Ralph in general, but wasn't his criticism
>of "foreign" pornography? As if it were okay to have domestically
>made pornography, but if it were made by immigrants or
>God-knows-who, it would be a problem?
>
>Christian

It doesn't make any political sense for left-wing gay men to support a pro-war straight white male candidate who *opposes* the equal right to marriage for queers as well as straights and instead offers *second-class marriage* called "civil union" to placate us, rather than an anti-war straight Arab male candidate who, *despite* his notorious prudishness which makes him pooh-pooh "corporate pornography" (foreign or domestic), *supports* the equal right to marriage for all. Maybe we need a new book that analyzes the contortions of gay men on the left who feel they have to support John Kerry but have *nothing* good to say about him, so they have to settle for bashing Nader who has a better position on today's hottest queer issue than Kerry. The working title of the book might be "Stupid Gay Men on the Left" (an apology to Michael Moore!). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>