[lbo-talk] Why do they hate Moore?

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 2 09:23:03 PDT 2004

At 11:38 AM 7/2/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>snit snat wrote:
>
>>Can someone explain to me why lefties hate Moore so much? I've never paid
>>much attention to any of it, because it struck me as upper Manhattan
>>gossip among left glitterati.
>
>Who hates him exactly? He's my neighbor on the Upper West Side, and I
>don't hate him. This list overwhelmingly likes him. I think Alexander
>Cockburn had it out for him, but he's far from upper Manhattan.
>
>Doug

I agree that people on this list don't hate him. I think that there are plenty of leading figures among democrats, liberals, progressives, and the rest who do things like call him fat, complain that he lives in a mansion and dresses like he's working class (you said that I think, correct me if I'm wrong), were very upset when he said the left ought to go bowling with some working class folk. Others have been focused on some bad behavior at Mother Jones was it? I know MSNBC.com isn't left, but they aren't FAUX and I don't think they had anything good to saying, playing into all the crap. Including intimating that he is anti-American.

Wasn't there something nasty said about him by Nader recently? And I can't recall but wasn't there something about Moore not inviting the progressive wing to the film's opening or something?

There is sure a perception that lefties don't like him and, my guess, it's that plenty of lefties in casual conversation like to take him to task for being fat, for being wealthy and not behaving so, and for whatever other gossipy crap they dish out. I just find the gossipy crap annoying. I know you like it and it's fun against the enemy, but the gossipy crap among our own--it annoys me.

So, yeah, saying "the left hates him" is as stupid as saying "the list hates him". hate is also too strong. i guess it's just that i really find the ad hominems pathetic. it's like that time you were called on the carpet becuase some idiots at femecon thought you didn't scrub your own toilet. as if whether you did or not, or whether you made money on stocks or not, mattered. grrrr.

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'