[lbo-talk] 4th of July

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jul 2 10:37:04 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

> >From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
> >
> >It is that time of the year again! Personally, my feeling about the 4th
> >of July is similar to that about Christmas ...
>
> Ditto here. God & Country, my two least favorite things.

There are two kinds of anti-Americanism. One kind is simply (and correctly) a synonym for intelligent anti-imperialism. Any anti=imperialist who is not a mortal enemy of the U.S. STATE, repeat, STATE, is kidding him/herself about his/her anti-imperialism.

The other kind is mere bellyaching, as Wojtek and Carl here and thousands of lbo-posts illustrate. It represents a desertion of the left obligation in the u.s. to focus on turning increasing numbers of u.s. workers against first the policies of the u.s. state and then, eventually, against the STATE itself. (This is not a division between revolutionaries and reformists, it is a division between intelligent and stupid reformists. Revolutionaries belong to the intelligent -- i.e., anti-u.s. STATE -- wing of the reformists.)

Carrol