[lbo-talk] Re: Differance

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Jul 2 12:04:45 PDT 2004

``Isn't that what we most deeply mean when we talk about `consciousness' '' Joanna

Not quite. I mean that it feels like I become a different person around different people and these don't mix very well, except in some way that isn't verbal---I am not sure what it is.

``I think you're giving Strauss too much credit.'' J.

Most of my reading of Strauss is pretty early stuff, and deals with his reading of Jacobi then Spinoza and back through a scholastic Judaism filtered through his own political experience in Zionist movements and his main influences at the time which were Nietzsche and then Heidegger. So I think he is afraid of both the pregnant and the empty void. But the ending point, that of filling these with some kind of naturalized but transcendent order is definitely what he is doing.

Jesus, its already noon. Gotta go

CG