[lbo-talk] Why do they hate Moore?

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Fri Jul 2 12:33:12 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 at 12:23pm snit snat wrote:

> There is sure a perception that lefties don't like him
> and, my guess, it's that plenty of lefties in casual
> conversation like to take him to task for being fat, for
> being wealthy and not behaving so, and for whatever other
> gossipy crap they dish out. I just find the gossipy crap
> annoying. I know you like it and it's fun against the
> enemy, but the gossipy crap among our own--it annoys me.

well i don't hate him, but i have problems with his style which i've rehearsed here before and to you directly. it has nothing to do with his money, his fatness, his expensive apartment or even that he is reportedly an asshole to work for. i have problems with his wilder claims and more extreme hyperbole. the bush administration is a den of thieves, murderers and other scumbags as it is, why drag in unsupport[ed,able] innuendo (that is rapidly and thoroughly pounced upon by the hitchens's of the world) to distract from the very concrete and documentable sins?

i've told the story before about my vaguely liberalish boss having read one of his books and found all the holes and was very, very disappointed and now will believe nothing moore says. that is a loss as this guy is/was receptive to at least some of moore's views.

in the onlist poll, i voted mildly disapprove -- that's pretty far from 'hatred'.

-- no Onan

Truth is the most valuable thing we have - so let us economize it.

-- Mark Twain