[lbo-talk] words for the black community

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Jul 2 13:31:11 PDT 2004

Wilson Barber wrote:

>In addition and
>ironically
>affirmative action has help to create an intra-racial
>class conflict within the Black community.

That's why it was the chosen policy.

>Cosby is
>merely an expression of the intra-racial class
>conflict.
>Essentially he cannot speak crediably on the condition
>of most Black living in these urban areas. I severely
>doubt that Cosby lives anywhere near the "hood".

Course not, he lives in Bel Air. On the other hand, there's no question that there's a psychopathology in the black community with respect to learning/education and its value.... A kind of amplification of the more general American "I'm ignorant and proud of it" that does not serve anyone. I remember a long and chillilng routine on the subject in that "kings of comedy" movie that Spike Lee(?) made a couple of years ago. The routine based its humor on the fact that an audience member, when asked for his occupation, responded that he was some sort of professional. I forget the exact profession, but the comic got a lot of yardage out of that, beginning with "You're an xxx? I bet you can't even spell that..."

Until this changes, there's no hope.

Joanna