[lbo-talk] words for the black community

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 2 15:57:27 PDT 2004

Some of you may remember that Bill Cosby made a movie with Sidney Poitier called 'A Piece of the Action' in which they worked with disadvantaged black youth at a community center and tried to get them to understand the relationship between elocution, education and success. At first the kids were opposed to learing anything but in the long run some of them came around. So this is an issue that Cosby has been working on for a long time - as opposed to him just being a crotchety old man. Indeed the Cosby show was about cultivating these values among African Americans. It is true, as somebody pointed out, that the white underclass has some of the same tendencies he describes. But he is not concerned with the white underclass. Many otherwise progressive and prominent African Americans of the 'old school' like say Max Roach, are actually very culturally and socially consevative. Indeed, the Nation of Islam has for a long time encouraged the proper use of language and promoted broad and deep literacy amongst its followers. But there is another reality. Most African Americans, like Africans, are adept are operating simutaneously in several modes, both culturally and linguistically. Most Africans speak several languages and within that, several colloquially based dialects. I myself speak three African languages, Spanish and some French, and I am one of the least linguistically adept Africans I know. Many West Indians speak in creole or patois and yet also speak very precise English and or French. There need not be a dichotomy between collouquial black English and mainstream 'proper' English. I think what Cosby is bemoaning is the way black youth are losing the ability to operate in both modes and reinforcing their marginalization by being proficient only in their own 'language'.

Joe W.

p.s. Sometimes the way African-American speak or pronounce words is not because of 'ignorance' but because of latent linguistic predispositions. One of my favorite examples of this is the word 'ask'. Many African Americans pronounce it as 'ax'. So do West Africans.