[lbo-talk] New weapon label: Made in Japan

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Fri Jul 2 22:13:44 PDT 2004

What's the fuss about this? All the items mentioned would now be categorised as "dual use", as with some types of centrifuges. It would be much more interesting if indeed it was about straightforwardly military technologies and weapons systems.

Anyway, all this was part of that 1980s US 'angst' about Japan as No. 1, the US falling behind, trooping off to Germany and Japan to study the dual-track education system, etc. Which sort of disappeared into the woodwork over the past lost decade, with the US telling Japan to emulate US neo-liberal capitalism rather than the miti-directed industrial policy, state-interventionist way, and Germany to reform and throw away its social democracy.

kj khoo