[lbo-talk] words for the black community

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 10:39:26 PDT 2004

: On Jul 3, 2004, at 2:14 PM, R wrote:
>PS -- kelley, since you've offered dwayne a congratulatory "blow job"
>in a note on this board, i hardly expect you to be objective.

-- Just to be clear, I'd explain just how wonderfully I think Dwayne writes (and Chuck... and Jenny and Michael Pollak, Carl, and DP and let's see, who else would I like to blow today.... hmmmm the possibilities!...?), but damn, R, it looks like it would come out all garbled as it is.

Interalia, R wrote (some highlights...)

>do you know i ran it by at least three black friends
>before i posted it and they agreed wholeheartedly?

_______________________

__ _| |__ _________| |:| Certified | |__________ \ :| |:| Grade A | |:| /

\ :| |:|blackpeopleloveus.com | |:| /

> :| |:|______________________| |:| <

/ :|__|:/ \._|:| \ /_______:/ \/ \:/\._____\

This post has been certified Grade A Black People Love Me <www.blackpeopleloveus.com>. It meets the minimum requirement of 3 black people approving of its contents. In addition, this post has been approved by the Trophy Spouse/Partner Commission on Enlightenment Through Sex with the Other.

As such, whatever I type is more right than what you type.

>dwayne is the guy making a very blatant, viscious
>personal attack on cosby

eh? evidence?

>which i didn't believe should
>stand unchallenged on a message board that prides
>itself on being "fair and balanced."

eh? a lefty list isn't supposed to be fair and balanced. it's a discussion list meant to address "politics, economics, and culture, all expansively defined, sponsored by this newsletter. Despite that sponsorship, I hope this list will be a forum for speaking across intellectual and social boundaries that have divided the left, such as it is, for too long. Among these oppositions I'd like to see worked through are ones like class/identity, cultural politics/"real" politics, Marxism/postmodernism, universal/particularist, activism/theory, economics/culture, nature/labor; nature/culture, and labor/culture."

> either of you
>two think dwayne's attack should stand? ...

I didn't see any attack on Cosby. Who cares, anyway? Cosby deserves to be criticized for his over-the-top, crude generalizations that do a disservice to any reasonable discussion.

>did either of you read the biography site about cosby
>that i gave in my posting.

Yeah. I'm not terribly impressed. I see people drag themselves up by their bootstraps every loving day, people who are just as talented and brilliant as Cosby and maybe even more so. They'll never have Cosby's millions because in this system it's impossible for everyone who works as hard and may even work harder than Cosby to earn millions. That's a basic factoid about this economy that not even the biggest conservative knucklehead could deny.

>are either of you saying
>the same thing about cosby that the right wing is
>saying about moore -- that now that cosby lives in a
>nice home and has plenty of money he's no longer able
>to understand his own people and is not one of them?
>well, dwayne said it. doesn't that deserve an
>apology?

eh? Dwayne described him as Kultur Minister. That's it. He said Cosby's words mean nothing because what he desires--a kind of proper middle class behavior among blacks--can only be sustained by changes in MATERIAL conditions that would support such a change. Without changing that, asking blacks to all get college educations is meaningless: someone still has to do the shit work in this economy.

Wilson Barber called Cosby an elitist and that is NOT the same thing as claiming that his money necessarily dictates his politics.

>every time i wrote anything to dwayne that's at all
>critical of his, what i'd term, convuluted, didactic,
>confused, often self-pitying, nearly unreadable in
>places, postings, i always get answers from white
>people. never from dwayne.

eh? self-pitying? I'd explain just how wonderfully I think Dwayne writes (and Chuck... and Jenny and Michael Pollak and DP and let's see, who else would I like to blow today....?), but my mouth is stuffed and it would come out all garbled.

>are dwayne's feeling hurt by what i wrote? or are you
>two doing this for yourselves?

What you wrote was wrong. You complain that he writes poorly (hogwash) without acknowleding that maybe you just don't understand. You complain that he's one of the people Cosby is complaining about who can't speak "proper English," don't marry, don't complete high school, etc. You say that the only reason he disagrees with Cosby is that is one of those people.

I'd just like to see black people--ANY people--be allowed to actually say what they think without the "I have a 4 black family members and friends and they approve of what I write so my argument trumps yours" crowd policing them.

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'