[lbo-talk] US forces celebrate Independence Day in Iraq

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 21:42:48 PDT 2004

. . . with fireworks, loud music, and festivities. I saw some images on the news. Seems rather inappropriate to me. And ironic.

=====

U.S. Troops Celebrate 4th of July in Iraq

Sun Jul 4, 6:21 PM ET

By CHRIS TOMLINSON, Associated Press Writer

[...]

Soldiers attending Capt. Jim Combs' church service heard a sermon about independence. The Protestant pastor focused on the Book of Exodus where Moses and his followers had fled slavery in Egypt, but were suffering in the wilderness. He said that according to Bible verses, there was a lot of "grumbling" among the Hebrews while they were in the desert.

"Do you ever grumble?" Combs asked the congregation. His message was to pray for the leaders and have faith.

[...]

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&e=3&u=/ap/20040704/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_july_4th