[lbo-talk] Re: there is a difference between D and R!

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Jul 5 12:16:42 PDT 2004

[Sorry about that. Old unix types will recognize `r~' as a mistake which should be the escape `~r' as the command to read a file into mail. So mail figured `r~' was the message and sent it after `.' Primative stuff]

The Web sites of Senator John Kerry and the Democratic National Committee run mainly on the technology of the computing counterculture: open-source software that is distributed free, and improved and debugged by far-flung networks of programmers.

Taking a break from painting, I couldn't resist this. I've been looking for some reason to vote for this jerk. His coy differences with Bush were sure not enough. I guess recognition for open source will have to do.

Maybe next winter if K loses the Democrats can blame open source software. On the other hand it sure makes the future look bright for hacker mania since (see Joanna's post) evidently most efforts are devoted to msuck and exploder.

I had to rig up the freebsd box in the kitchen with an old ps2 9" monitor and use cli to read the archives on lynx. Yes lynx works---works fast on a 56k modem since the annoying visual garbage show up as [IMAGE] boxes.

It is interesting to speculate that the only reason most people have moved up to dsl or cable is so they can get through the ad choked web sites at the same speed they used to have. Sort of swimming up stream to stay in the same place. Ah, the technology miracles brought to you by captial.

Notice they didn't actually mention which open source. Anybody know?

CG