[lbo-talk] Re: there is a difference between D and R!

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Jul 5 14:19:18 PDT 2004

On Jul 5, 2004, at 3:16 PM, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> It is interesting to speculate that the only reason most people have
> moved up to dsl or cable is so they can get through the ad choked web
> sites at the same speed they used to have. Sort of swimming up stream
> to stay in the same place. Ah, the technology miracles brought to you
> by captial.

Of course, one can also turn off images in an ordinary browser. But then, surfing the web loses most of its charm, especially if you are interested in the commercial sites, as most people are.

I'm all in favor of open source software, and would use it as much as possible, but damn! do they make it hard for us ordinary humans! I'm beavering away trying to learn Unix on Mac OS X, but it's quite a struggle. It looks as though the only way I'll be able to get Open Office to work is to take a postgraduate Unix course. But it does teach one a lot about how computers work.

At any rate, I have the comfortable feeling of avoiding all the agonies these days over IE. Haven't used Explorer (even on the Mac) for months now.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile