[lbo-talk] This is WAR, sons!

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Jul 6 06:32:50 PDT 2004

On Jul 5, 2004, at 11:44 PM, Jon Johanning wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2004, at 5:05 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
>> what would the politically correct response be?
>
> <snip>
> What "Dad" really needs is not a politically correct response, but a
> whole lot of counseling, which unfortunately he and those who think
> like him are not likely to get.

i was referring to dad's dissing of the "politically correct" response, which he opposes to his own (apparently politically incorrect) response to the question, "who are we at war with?" the answer being, "the muslim terrorists".

i was wondering how exactly the politically correct response differs from this. certainly the dad's politically correct straw men will say that the US has brought this on itself in important ways, that political-economic factors weigh heavily, that war may not be the appropriate response, etc. but who among us actually says that there are no muslim terrorists, that a particular understanding of islam is not a key component of their ideology, or that muslim terrorists are not these days aiming to terrorize americans and their allies specifically?

yes, the "letter" is all clash-of-civilizations, but am i really off on this?

seems odd -- or maybe just silly -- to me: "those politically correct elites don't even think there are muslim terrorists! they dress it up as 'muslim terrorism'! ha!"