[lbo-talk] Re: Brando...

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 11:31:48 PDT 2004

>I saw "Burn" -- it was good, but Brando was less than
>believable as a Brit aristocrat. He probably >liked
"Burn" because it was a great agit-prop movie.

very likely, although i thought he was very convincing as an aristo-double agent gone to seed...

a kind word for brando in _one-eyed jacks_, his sole directorial effort after kubrick threw in the towel. a superb performance, a keen eye for cinematic/narrative development and as well-directed an ensemble as any actor-director could hope for.

a sad day for acting, but not any sadder than brando's several-decade decline as an artist. it can't bode well for one of the greatest, most innovative talents of the century when he despises the very profession he innovated. to that extent, it's remarkable how many excellent performances he did create after the bloom came off of the rose ca. the mid-60's.

for myself, it's been a fine opportunity to dust off my borderline-awful brando impersonation and conflate his oeuvre and famous tag-lines into one big refrigerator-magnet mix-and-match. e.g.: "you come to my house on the day of my daughter's wedding and you say, i want you to clip these two fingernails...", "'luck be the butter too-niiiiiiiiiight...'", "i swallowed tattaglia..." &c.

Art is algebra plus fire.

-- Borges

_____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance