[lbo-talk] This is WAR, sons!

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 6 14:23:57 PDT 2004

At 03:06 PM 7/6/2004, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

>Jon wrote:
>>However, my layperson's opinion is that it is not a very good idea to
>>refer to "Muslim terrorists," because I don't think the Islamic component
>>of their actions is terribly important,
>
>it's certainly an important part of the self-identification of many of the
>terrorists, and an important part of their self-promotion and propaganda.
>this is why words like jihad get thrown around.
>
>much of this may be a cynical deployment of islam on the part of
>leadership, but i don't think that mitigates the fundamental point that
>islam -- more accurately, a very particular form/interpretation of islam,
>see below -- is integral to organizations like al-qaida, hizbullah,
>jamaa-i-islamiya, and any number of other related orgs.

Not an expert either, but I do have to read a lot of stuff written by so-called experts on terrorism. What has always struck me is the stark difference between what many counterterrorism experts used to think about how to pursue terrorists and what our Propaganda Meisters peddled after 9/11. It was common to think of terrorism as something that would have to be fought with police actions (although far worse than that implies b/c they really meant highly trained, quick moving special forces that would 'take out' individuals) With the Busheviks in power, they could only think through the frame of the Nation-state, or only wanted to think in those terms, and thus the u.s. ended up with a war on terr (tm) against the Axis of Evil.

From what I've read of Al-q, they're basically a criminal organization that does, indeed, cynically pedal a version of Islam. (It's easy, perhaps too easy, to see them as a lot like mafia organizations--stressing that I'm talking about the _organizational_ aspect of the mafia, not The Godfather/Mario Puzo version)

It may have started out with strongly held religious world-view but, like any other organization, as it becomes larger, it grows more complex and, thus, more bureaucratic. It develops new goals, mainly geared to organizational survival and that means making money. And that means trading in drugs, arms, and so forth.

I don't have a lot of time, but I'd highly recommend Jessica Stern's work. An interview is here http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/04/05/int04024.html

Stern argues that what draws terrorists to the organization is shame and humiliation. (Which reminds me: Riverbend, herself, argued that sexualized torture was the most humiliating thing that could happen to Iraqis. hmmmm. :)

Also, Doug forwarded this piece by Stern from the FT:

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040607/012776.html

kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'