[lbo-talk] This is WAR, sons!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jul 6 14:54:03 PDT 2004

> CB: Yes, the Bushies and others like them need a replacement for the
Red
> Evil Empire to justify high levels of military spending. The "end of
Islamic
> terrorism" would create great pressure for a peace dividend. U.S.
policy has
> grown addicted to having a big "threat". Is the term
"military-industrial
> complex" still in vogue ?

There is a big difference between the cold war and the war on terrorism - the former was fought mainly in board rooms with words, the other one - in the field. I think this war was the brain child of intellectuals not the military commanders, especially neo-cons and Likudniks in the Bush administration, and the military was not particularly gung-ho about this war - as being humiliated by a bunch of militants is not the best way to justify one's existence.

Wojtek