[lbo-talk] This is WAR, sons!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jul 7 07:52:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, John Lacny wrote:

> Well, there you have it, Wojtek has come right out
> and said that he subscribes to Adorno's "Authoritarian
> Personality" thesis. I think maybe he's right, though.

It's not really authoritarian personality theory. Adorno suggested that the creation of an authoritarian personality is a psychodynamic process: 1. parents withold love and affection 2. child represses hostility and resentment in unconscious 3. child indirectly expresses this hostility via the development of an authoritarian personality: slavish devotion to authority, dichotomous thinking, law and order mentality, generalized prejudice.

Wojtek's argument was more straightforward, a kinda functionalist socialization argument.

Miles