[lbo-talk] The election falls on...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 7 13:03:02 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>In short, a politically sensible compromise between the Nader/Camejo
>and Cobb/LaMarche factions within the Green Party would have been
>Camejo's proposal for "free states," i.e., the Green Party at the
>national convention endorsing both campaigns and leaving each state
>Green Party free to choose the campaign that is best suited for
>growing the Green Party in the state.

What kind of national party runs 50 separate campaigns? Why not go down to the county level and run 3000 campaigns? I suppose having two tickets is better than '96, when the Greens had four VP candidates (among them, the charming Lorna Salzman). But this looks more like further proof that the party is just too ill-developed to run a national campaign. Running for the office of chief executive of the world bourgeoisie doesn't seem like the time to conduct scores of simultaneous experiments.

Doug