[lbo-talk] Re: The election falls on...

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 13:06:14 PDT 2004

>And the "safe state strategy," for a party that can
>expect no electoral college votes anywhere, makes
>perfect sense in this election. The great majority
>of the Left protest vote is to be found in places
>like New York and California, where the case against
>the *competent* Imperial candidate can be made most
>clearly because the fear of throwing the election to
>Ubu and his Bushits is such obviously hysterical
>nonsense in those states. Ultraleftist naderism--the
>ill-concealed desire to inflict another four
>years of Ubu as just punishment on America and the
>world--is just the symmetrical counterpart of the
>Stalino/Socialdemocratico/Liberal Popular Front
>effort to plebiscite Kerry and squash independent
Left
>political action once and for all.

bless your heart, and your elegant political analysis, shane. although i disagree with your presumption of evil intent on the naderite/"ultra-leftist" wing -- you know, there IS an election in this nominally democratic republic in november, and one SHOULD be able to choose whomever they wish to vote for, however gobsmackingly ludicrous and ultimately harmful to those leftists that decision may seem to you and i -- this is essentially the argument i posed to yoshie last week, to the utter silence of the list (that happens to me alot on these lists...is it my cologne, or lack thereof?). yoshie does feel differently, as his extensive blog excerpts posted here suggest, but permit me to cast the net wider still -- does anyone on this list REALLY believe that the greens "safe states" strategy, part and parcel of their thumbing their nose at their fair-weather once-candidate ralph, will doom the green party to any greater political irrelevancy than they currently enjoy? similarly, is there any reason for people NOT to vote green locally and be all prophylactic (i.e., "safe") on the presidential line if they don't live in ny or cali? the spectacularlization of a presidential bid in no way prevents greens from mobilizing on the local level -- again, and as shane suggests, the ONLY level they could even remotely hope to have any impact on whatsoever. im-sorta-ho...

discuss.

Art is algebra plus fire.

-- Borges

_____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance