[lbo-talk] Oil, Conspiracy Theory, and F 9/11 Re: Dude, Why are you fronting?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 7 14:09:14 PDT 2004

>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
>Wed Jul 7 13:08:16 PDT 2004
<snip>
>Joseph Wanzala wrote:
>
>>Michael Moore is one of America's most famous dissidents.
>
>So he must be a liar, a fool, a dupe, or a hack. Let's piss all over
>him in the interests of deeper marginality! Because marginality is
>pure and is rich ground for paranoia to grow in. It makes us feel
>safer to have no influence and to mutter bitterly about the secret
>conspiracies of the powerful, whose details are mysteriously
>revealed to us, so that we may feel even more powerless.
>
>Doug

What distinguishes Michael Moore's conspiracy theories about oil (especially the UNOCAL angle), the Saudi Connection, Big Tobacco, etc. from the sort that you would normally be the first to hold in contempt?

F 9/11 is certainly popular, and there are many things that I like about it (which I posted elsewhere), but there is no question that Moore, because of his popularity, will make some common conspiracy theories more popular -- and probably more respectable -- than before. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>