[lbo-talk] Oil, Conspiracy Theory, and F 9/11 Re: Dude, Why are you fronting?

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jul 7 18:38:38 PDT 2004

I'm prepared to believe stories about complicated conspiracies. I'm not prepared to repeat them w/o some serious evidence.

The problem with theories about the pipeline and exploitation of Iraqi oil is that the Bushists do not seem to have planned to commit the resources necessary to carry them off. The Afghan effort is pissant, it seems to mostly consist of abortive searches for Osama. The Iraqi thing not much more so, as far as developing the infrastructure that is necessary to exploit the oil. If the Bushies really wanted to suck the Iraqi fields dry, why wouldn't they have committed twice the troops and resources?

A simpler theory fits what actually happened and what the Gov is actually doing: the Iraqi venture was premised on a demonstration effect in re: Saddam, for the sake of a rebuke to U.S. adversaries (including terrorists) and for an expanded military presence in the region. In the process, even with limited objectives they seem to have bitten off more than they could chew.

I haven't seen the film; I'm looking forward to it. Sniping at it from the left is silly.

mbs