[lbo-talk] Oil, Conspiracy Theory, and F 9/11

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 7 19:57:31 PDT 2004

Deborah says:

> > UNOCAL was about a natural gas deal.
>
>Exactamundo. Big time. And it was a playground for both nefarious
>business developers and long-range pragmatists.

Is it necessarily nefarious for companies to want to build pipelines, oil or natural gas, in foreign nations? Unless F 9/11 can support a stronger claim -- e.g., UNOCAL made the Bush team invade Afghanistan so it can build a pipeline that it couldn't have built otherwise -- with evidence, which the film can't, I'm not sure if the UNOCAL business idea is all that important, except it may be important fodder for conspiracy theorists.

Whether or not the pipeline idea will prove to be pragmatic in the short or long term depends on whether or not foreign troops can provide security in Afghanistan, which they, being too few, have so far been incapable of doing.

DRR says: <snip>
> > terrorist attacks, and the wars on Afghanistan and Iraq: "Okay, so
>> let's say one group of people, like the American people, pay you
>> $400,000 a year to be President of the United States. But then
>> another group of people invest in you, your friends, and their
>> related businesses $1.4 billion dollars over a number of years. Who
> > you gonna like? Who's your daddy?" That's conspiracy theory.
>
>Ah, I see. So when Michael Moore points out that money influences
>political decisions, that's conspiracy theory.

The quote comes from Moore's voice-over narration about Saudi money in particular, not money in general. Exactly what US political decisions has Saudi money influenced? Why can't Saudi money buy a better deal for Palestinians in line with Saudi Arabia's own proposal rather than Israel's?

Carl says:
>I have just one complaint about F 9/11, but it's a big one -- the
>movie's complete neocon void. I don't think that scene of Wolfowitz
>slobbering over his comb provides much info about one of the main
>driving forces of the Iraq war.

If the film wants to make something of the neocon project for the Middle East, it needs to say something about the place of Israel in it, which Mooore -- who is pretty pro-Palestinian in his personal opinion -- chose not to do for this film.

Another absence in the film is John Kerry.

I gather that the two absences are related to each other.

Max says:
>I haven't seen the film

You must be the only leftist in the USA who hasn't seen the film yet. I've already watched it twice, with two different sets of friends. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>