[lbo-talk] Oil, Conspiracy Theory, and F 9/11

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 20:55:22 PDT 2004

--- Yoshie wrote:

> Is it necessarily nefarious for companies to want to build
> pipelines,
> oil or natural gas, in foreign nations?

No, but I wasn't talking about "companies." I was talking about "nefarious business developers," a separate subspecies of business developers, and not non-nefarious business developers.

Sheesh.

Somewhere in all of this, you've forgotten a little mind-set that was known as Enron, a company driven by business developers desperate to close a deal - any deal - before each fiscal quarter so that they could book and collect their bonuses. It didn't matter if the deal was do-able or not, as long as it had enough signatures and a shelf corporation in which to hide it. A pipeline across Afghanistan or one running under the seas? It was part of the Enron mythology, the idea that Enron could do anything, Enron was invincible and in the mean time, the shell game moved the money around from pocket to pocket. We're not talking about a grandiose political rule-the-world conspiracy; it's a plain ol' make-daddy-more-money-regardless-of-the-expense-to-others scam.

Moore links that mentality to Bush 41 and 43, and it becomes the springboard from which we see both Bushes' conflicts of interest.

- Deborah