[lbo-talk] "I never saw anything like this."

suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp
Thu Jul 8 07:42:18 PDT 2004

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>> I doubt a majority of people wanted to resist. Saddam
>> must have had some popular support or he wouldn't have
>> been able to stay in power that long. Nobody can.
>>
>> Chris
>
> The Shiite uprisings in '91 were massive.
> http://www.theava.com/03/1126-baghdad.html

Yes but they were induced by a falsely interpreted window of opportunity (and the west has a big responsibility here). If the state is strong and if there is enough redistribution of wealth in terms of public services chances are you can have about any form of government. In some you'll have the public services and the right to oppose the gvt without risking your life, in others you'll have public services and you won't want to take chances with your life.

JC Helary