[lbo-talk] Re: Marginality

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Jul 8 08:33:50 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Laurence Shute wrote:
>
>> Where does "marginality" end and principle begin?
>

> That's a good question. Sometimes standing for a principle will
> marginalize you. But from years of watching left thinking and
> organizations, I've concluded that for some people the marginalization
> itself is a marker of principle, and that any kind of success is a sure
> sign of a sellout. So, since Moore is packing them in, he must be a hack
> or an apologist or a whore.

Kind of like how the conservatives play the "victim."

I hate being marginal. My goals as an anarchist have revolved around popularizing anarchist ideas and analysis for the mainstream. But Doug has a point about the Left adopting marginality as a badge of honor. Leftists who are successful get cut down, or accused of selling out. And then we sabotage our projects by trying to alienate the "normals."

Chuck0