[lbo-talk] Re: The Housing Bubble

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Thu Jul 8 14:10:14 PDT 2004

I have no great insight into the general bubble phenomenon but based on my own experience living in and trying to buy a place in the Boston area I have two smaller observations. Clearly, the amount of square footage per person is growing (both social and demographic factors confound the impact of income--longer hours at work has meant a somewhat paradoxical substitution effect of more home demanded to make up for less time). Also, housing is bought by people outside of the area (i.e., second homes). In the Boston area, lots of out of state and international wealthy drive up prices at the high end (multiple homes appear to be socially chic and justifiable as investment in the bubble). They would not show up in any income ranking of the area unless they were full-time residents. See Cape Cod below as well.

Here is the top 50 MSAs ranked by 5-year housing price index change.

Cape Cod has got everyone beat and exurban California seems rather dramatic as well. (Apologize in advance for the crazy formatting).

MSA 5-Yr % change Barnstable-Yarmouth, MA 108.43 Vallejo-Fairfield-Napa, CA 96.54 San Diego, CA 95.31 San Luis Obispo-Atascadero-Pas 94.6 Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Lomp 93.18 Salinas, CA 91.86 Yolo, CA 88.92 Nassau-Suffolk, NY 88.35 Brockton, MA 87.61 Santa Rosa, CA 84.88 Ventura, CA 83 Sacramento, CA 81.48 Modesto, CA 81.03 Orange County, CA 80.45 Providence-Fall River-Warwick, 80.29 Merced, CA 80.28 Oakland, CA 77.7 Stockton-Lodi, CA 76.96 Monmouth-Ocean, NJ 76.85 Chico-Paradise, CA 76.5 Riverside-San Bernardino, CA 76.34 Manchester, NH 75.17 Worcester, MA-CT 74.96 Boston, MA-NH 74.83 Fitchburg-Leominster, MA 74.66 Fort Lauderdale, FL 73.39 Lowell, MA-NH 73.26 Lawrence, MA-NH 73.15 Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA 72.84 Dutchess County, NY 71.62 Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA 71.32 Nashua, NH 71.15 Portsmouth-Rochester, NH-ME 70.85 West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL 70.28 Naples, FL 69.04 New York, NY 69 Miami, FL 68.36 Atlantic-Cape May, NJ 68.31 Fresno, CA 67.28 Redding, CA 66.05 San Francisco, CA 65.99 Newburgh, NY-PA 65.95 Fort Pierce-Port St. Lucie, FL 65.63 Washington, DC-MD-VA-WV 64.97 Punta Gorda, FL 63.03 Bergen-Passaic, NJ 62.15 Portland, ME 62.07 Newark, NJ 61.03 Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, 60.7

Source: http://www.ofheo.gov/HPIMSA.asp?FormMode=Summary

Jim

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:

> jimi ayler wrote:
>
> >i don't believe this particular bubble will ever pop,
> >'round these here parts.
>
> Or as our pal Tom Gogola put it at a reading at KGB last night, the
> Long Island housing market has a case of priapism - once it's up, it
> stays up. But as they say on Wall Street, trees don't grow to the sky.

"There's a port on a western bay And it serves a hundred ships a day Lonely sailors pass the time away And talk about their homes

. . . . He came on a summer's day Bringin' gifts from far away But he made it clear he couldn't stay No harbor was his home"

--Eliot Lurie (Looking Glass), "Brandy"