[lbo-talk] Personal note

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Jul 9 13:08:24 PDT 2004

On 9/7/04 8:55 pm, "Luke Weiger" <lweiger at umich.edu> wrote:

> I am another day closer to death, and now have another legal means available
> to get their more quickly: alcohol. Ausgezeichnet!

Of course there's always a last everything. The last meal, the last drink, the last sex. The last meeting with a friend. The last stroking of the last cat, the last sight of a son or daughter. Some would be more charged with emotion than others - if one knew. It's not knowing that makes it all so piquant. A good many lasts have taken place already.

Then there are last words, variously reported, such as: Let not poor Nelly starve. Or: I think I could eat one of Bellamy's veal pies. If there were time I'd incline to a summary: Alcohol made my life shorter but more interesting. My father said (not last perhaps): Say goodbye to Gavin.

-- Gavin Ewart.