[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 9 13:26:29 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>If Michael Moore or anyone else made a film similar to Fahrenheit
>9/11 about Tel Aviv and Washington, employing the same techniques of
>suggestions and insinuations he employed regarding Riyadh and
>Washington, I'm sure that there will be a loud chorus of boos and
>hisses against Moore, including from you.

What in god's name are you talking about? I'd hiss if Moore or anyone said that a Zionist cabal controlled U.S. policy. But if someone made the point that the U.S. and Israel have collaborated for decades in a violent project of repression, I'd applaud in agreement. And what "insinuations" about Riyadh and Washington? The film took the position that there was a deep collaborative pursuit of oil-based accumulation that joined the U.S. and Saudi ruling classes. Are you somehow claiming there's something anti-Arab about criticizing the Saudi regime as the corrupt and reactionary thing it is?

Doug