[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jul 10 12:38:36 PDT 2004

> Now, the Bushes have had business ties with some of the bin Ladens
> and political ties with the Saudi royals, but the "experts" to whom
> Moore turns don't have the goods, so to speak, to make a solid case
> that any of the bin Ladens other than Osama was implicated in the
> 9/11 terrorist attacks and that Bush nevertheless protected them,
> knowing that they were really guilty.

Moore makes it very clear, over and over again, that it's not about Saudi-bashing. It's about a bunch of rich people -- some in the US, others in Saudi Arabia -- who think that their wealth puts them above the law. Moore is hammering away at something important: class identity and its relationship to justice. (The former FBI investigator said it quite clearly: it's not about the bin Laden family's guilt or innocence, if they want a lawyer, fine. It's about the most basic level of juridical accountability, equality before the law.)

More to the point, this is a film about the US oiligarchy. It shows that they're a bunch of criminal, thieving gangsters. It shows how they stole an election, launched a heinous, unprovoked war of aggression against a major country, and are planning still more egregious crimes, including crimes against the people of the United States. But it also shows that dissent is patriotic, that democracy is about thinking for yourself instead of relying on political elites, and that the people of the United States ultimately have the power to change things. I can't think of a more electrifying or timely message.

-- DRR