[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 11 11:12:14 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org wrote:
>On Jul 11, 2004, at 5:41 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> Just imagine what you would say if Moore talked about "Jewish money"
>> in this fashion.
>
>I don't know what he would say, but I know what I would say --
>"well, he's just another anti-Semite." As far as I can see, the term
>"Jewish money" has absolutely no meaning whatsoever outside the
>filthiest anti-Semitic gutter talk.
>
>Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org

In Fahrenheit 9/11:

"Michael Moore: So I read where like the Saudis have a trillion dollars in our banks of their money. What would happen if like one day they just pulled that trillion dollars out?

Craig Unger: A trillion dollars, that would be an enormous blow to the economy."

In a hypothetical movie that criticizes the US-Israel relation, using the same techniques of suggestions and insinuations that Fahrenheit 9/11 uses:

"Director X: So I read where like the Jews have a trillion dollars in our banks of their money. What would happen if like one day they just pulled that trillion dollars out?

Expert Y: A trillion dollars, that would be an enormous blow to the economy."

Replacing the term "the Jews" with the term "the Israelis" or "the Zionists" in the same statement wouldn't make it acceptable to us.

Leftists know enough to object to the hypothetical example as "the filthiest anti-Semitic gutter talk," but not enough to object to practically the same statement about Saudi money in a popular movie.

Why the double standard? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>