[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 11 13:47:24 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org, Sun Jul 11 13:35:17 PDT 2004 <snip>
>Sorry for over-posting -- I'll compensate tomorrow -- but I can't wait
>a day to answer this.
>
>On Jul 11, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> "Director X: So I read where like the Jews have a trillion dollars in
>> our banks of their money. What would happen if like one day they just
>> pulled that trillion dollars out?
>>
>> Expert Y: A trillion dollars, that would be an enormous blow to the
>> economy."
>>
>> Replacing the term "the Jews" with the term "the Israelis" or "the
>> Zionists" in the same statement wouldn't make it acceptable to us.
>
>What "trillion dollars" of "Jewish money" are you talking about? Do
>you have any evidence of any "Jewish cabal" using that kind of pot
>to control or influence world events?
>
>That kind of talk is exactly what anti-Semites have been talking
>about for centuries: the sinister conspiracy of Jews, who have no
>values except money-grubbing, to rule the world by throwing their
>fabulous wealth around.
>
>If you don't understand what the term "Jewish money" means in
>political discourse, you need an elementary course in the history
>of anti-Semitism. And maybe you need another one in humanist
>values. I don't care if I get baited as an "Israel-lover" for
>saying it, but throwing terms like that one around is just
>unacceptable.

You are completely missing my point here. I'm saying that, *just as it is not acceptable to speaks of "Jewish money,"* it is *not* acceptable to speak of "Saudi money," and that, while leftists *correctly* recognize and criticize the former problem, many of them are evidently *incapable of recognizing the latter problem,* let alone criticizing it, as your replies to me demonstrate. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>