[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 11 19:38:32 PDT 2004

This is the poll I think Joanna's talking about, Michael:

Palestine issue confuses Britons

By James Read BBC London

An academic study suggests that TV news coverage in the UK on the Middle East conflict confuses viewers and features a preponderance of Israeli views. So much so, that many viewers think Israeli territory is occupied by Palestinians, not the other way round.

I think the analysis itself is handled here:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/sociology/Israel.pdf

Yoshie said:

>You are completely missing my point here. I'm saying that, *just as it is
>not acceptable to speaks of "Jewish money,"* it is *not* acceptable to
>speak of "Saudi money," and that, while leftists *correctly* recognize and
>criticize the former problem, many of them are evidently *incapable of
>recognizing the latter problem,* let alone criticizing it, as your replies
>to me demonstrate.

While one might (barely, I think) argue that the adjective "Saudi" in this context could refer to a fungible group in the same manner anti-Semites would use the term "Jewish", doesn't the term simply refer to, in so far as I've seen it and other similar adjectives used in this manner on this list, the Saudi government? If I stated that American money was behind the invasion of Iraq, would you also count that use of the adjective as racist?

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines