[lbo-talk] Art and Politics

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Mon Jul 12 08:03:13 PDT 2004

I didn't see the underlying thing about Kerry that you see. To me it simply seems that MM was fired up to start as a kid doing something about the defense of freedoms and the social values that he read about in the constitution and sensed around him. He grew up in it and became an artist and is learning to paint. Welcome to his world. I don't have his sense of purpose, but I'm glad to be able to share his.

Personally I find his failure to read the 2nd as a metaphor troubling. Guns are a metaphor in the constitution and in society. It's important to have a society in which guns aren't used, and without guns, how would you know.

But that's just me. My feeling about society peaks when I start thinking that 'sex, drugs, rock'n'roll' high school's cool.

Martin