[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 11:48:03 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning addressing Yoshie:

> Well, I'm glad to hear that you do not think that
> "Jewish money" is an acceptable term, and I
> agree that "Saudi money" would not be either.

I disagree. The regime is not popular, and many people living in Arabia would probably not refer to themselves as "Saudi," particularly when they're not in the presence of the police. "Saudi" refers to the ruling house in Arabia, but when what is arguably the most kleptocratic clan on the face of the earth eventually falls from power, the name of the country will be swiftly changed. My personal hope is that it would become a Democratic Republic or Peoples Republic, or the Revolutionary Republic of Oil Workers and Filipina Housekeepers, but these days -- and most unfortunately -- we'd probably be looking at an "Islamic Republic of Arabia."

I'm not trying to be a sophist, though, and I recognize that in colloquial usage "Saudi money" could have racist connotations, just as talk about "a cabal of international bankers led by the Rothschilds" would amount to talking about "Jew money."

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!