[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:49:27 PDT 2004

Liza Featherstone wrote: "1) The first paragraph of your post seems, in a juvenile fashion, to suggest that because some racist Zionists equate "Jewish" and "Israeli" it's OK for the rest of us to do so. The logical and moral problems with this "reasoning" are pretty obvious."

This odd interpretation of my post is your own and so are the faulty logic and moral problems. I was simply pointing out in response to your assertion, which I of course agree with, that "Jews" qua Jews are not a nationality or government" that right-wing Jewish political activists conflate the term Jewish with Israel (e.g. JINSA). This is not a recommendation that it is 'OK' to follow suit, rather, it points out how problematic the use of these terms are. Anti-semites use the term "Jewish" along with other well known code words for same, and conflate Jews with Israel, while many Jews and Israelis also use the terms interchangeably, JINSA being a case in point. People also sometimes conflate Jews and Israel not because they are anti-semitic but because of either intellectual laziness or confusion. There are some people on this list who treat any mention of Jews like the crowd at the public stoning in Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' who would mercillessly stone anyone who says 'Jehovah' regardless of meaning or context.

Joe W.

I will now bravely await Doug's admonition for my overposting. I'd rather that, even on pain of excommunication from the LBO list than wait for another 24hrs by which time I'll be on to other things.