[lbo-talk] The Intifada in Roger & Me

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 12 21:12:32 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Double Standard: Israel and Saudi Arabia
>Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com, Mon Jul 12 13:18:29 PDT 2004
<snip>
> >From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>
>>Chris Brooke wrote:
>>
>>>According to Gary Younge in the Guardian, it's Dude, Where's My Country?
>>>
>>>http://www.guardian.co.uk/michaelmoore/story/0,13947,1055591,00.html
>>
>>Three relevant paragraphs from which...
>>
>>>A little bit later, he comes back to the question of his own volition. "I
>>>think it's a good point, because, as much as I think I've done, I haven't
>>>done enough. I feel that one of the big flaws in Bowling For Columbine is
>>>that I go through the history of American violence around the world and
>>>completely miss out what we've done in the Middle East when it comes to
>>>the Israelis and the Palestinians."
>
><Insert meaningless intensifier of your choice>! That just makes
>Moore's refusal to examine the Israeli connection in F911 that much
>more egregious.
>
>Carl

What's interesting is that Michael Moore included an image of Palestinians in a film for which the question of the Israeli occupation is the least relevant among his feature-length works: <em>Roger and Me</em>. As the credits roll, Moore revisits the major interviewees in the film to poke fun at their cluelessness one more time. The third figure is Maxine Kronick, a Flint official who tried and failed to make downtown Flint "the entertainment center of the area" like Toronto (!) earlier in the film. Moore (off camera) asks Maxine: "Where are you going to?" Maxine happily replies: "I'm going to Tel Aviv." Moore asks again: "Why?" Maxine, beaming, jokes: "Well, maybe, someday I'll be the minister of tourism." Then, the film cuts to a scene of Palestinian youths throwing rocks at IDF soldiers, as the subtile reads "One month after Maxine arrived. . . ". -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>