[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 09:39:27 PDT 2004

Chris Doss posted:

http://www.exile.ru/194/feature_story.html

=========

Well.

This is quite a day.

I never thought I'd witness myself writing the following: Mark Ames is right. Yet, here I am, doing just that. Of course, Ames is correct about a lot of stuff but the poorly executed, bargain basement Hunter S. Thompson-ism of it all...

But that's not my focus now. My focus is the wide mouthed wonder I've experienced - like that proto-human in "2001, A Space Odyssey" looking at the monolith - as various members of the left have lined up around the block to take turns knocking Moore on the head.

Why just yesterday I visited Interactivist Info Exchange and was greeted by this from Shlomo Svesnik:

Finally, Moore turns to Iraq--and further confusion. While the Saudis are fairly demonized, there isn't the slightest intimation that Saddam Hussein is anything other than a great guy. For all the grisly footage of Iraqi children mangled by US cluster bombs, you'd never know that Saddam had harmed a hair on a child's head. Brief footage of Baghdad before the bombing shows happy, smiling citizens--a wedding, a kid flying a kite--a vivid contrast to the horrorshow sequences of post-bombardment civilian casualties.

[...]

full at -

< http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=04/07/11/152240&mode=nested&tid=22

Wha...what? It was wrong to show - dramatically and with heart stirring effectiveness - the direct result of the US bombing campaign because doing so let Saddam, somehow, off the hook?

Excuse me now, while I pause to gaze up in wonder at this immense, mysterious black monolith looming before me. It's emitting a strange humming sound. I don't understand what I'm hearing.

I don't know what kind of left this is that insists upon relentlessly attacking success but it's useless. No, it's worse than useless. I have a camera from the early 20th century - a reminder of tech precursors. It doesn't work and can fairly be called useless as cameras go. But it just sits there, slowly yielding to entropy, bothering no one.

This business of attacking Moore is worse than useless, it's actively self-defeating and that's really inexcusable.

We don't have time for playground maneuvers.

.d.