[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 10:27:43 PDT 2004

Liza Featherstone wrote: the leftists to boost their personal radical cred. But the pathology is the same: suspicion of any popular left phenomena. If the people are listening, the message must not be worth hearing. How are we supposed to change anything if we think that way?

Joe W: In fact this is demonstrably not the case. Most radical leftists are critiquing the film because it perpetuates the official story on 9-11 and perpetuates the underlying thesis for Bush's and perhaps soon to be Kerry's 'war on terror'. The 'people' have in fact been listening to the sharp critiques of the official 9-11 story and the war on terror for quite some time now, 'Bush knew' signs are ubiquitous at demonstations, the 9-11 Deception Dollars are wildly popular and even rapper Judakiss has weighed in with a popular song accusing Bush of complicity. Thousands of people have attended 9-11 skeptic conferences around the country and the world (San Francisco, Toronto, Berlin etc.) and one would have though that dissident Michael Moore would have ridden the tide of popular skepticism about the official story and the war on terror. Instead Moore perpetuates Bush's own mythologies. *THIS* is what chagrins many on the radical left, (we) would love it if a movie with as wide exposure as F9-11 has would also be a vehicle for a radical message - no lefties gave Oliver Stone a hard time for popularizing marginal JFK 'conspiracy theories' rather, many of the same people boosting Moore or giving him a free pass attacked JFK as being 'wild-eyed conspiracy theory'. Moore film was eagerly anticipated by 9-11 skeptics in the hope that his movie would include a critique of the official 9-11 story the fact that it does not, and offers instead a largely incohenrent mismash is the problem.

Joe W.