[lbo-talk] Serious question (was re: Clintonian Kerry)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jul 13 10:52:42 PDT 2004

If we discussed what to do about it, the discussion would soon be stigmatized as conspiracism or conspiracy theory.

Charles

If November elections are suspended, what are we, the American left, prepared to do about it? On NPR the other night, the "delay" of US elections was being spoken of in a broadcast of BBC World News. The BBC were interviewing a few congressmen about the possibility -- all they spoke to seem opposed to the idea.

I don't expect anyone would discuss serious plans on this list. But if America becomes a formally despotic state before the end of the year, I hope the response would be more than it becoming just another thread on LBO-Talk. In other words, I would hope for a seriously renewed interest in _direct_action_ in all the communities in which posters reside.

Hopefully it's an outlandish possibility, but it's something to think about. I get the impression we're -- the American left, that is -- not organized to meet a challenge like that.