[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Jul 13 12:03:00 PDT 2004

Liza Featherstone wrote:

>I agree with just about every word of this excellent piece. I don't know if
>I will ever regain respect for the writers quoted in it, some of whom I
>know.

Oh God, it's worst than that. It's a Warhol/American thing. These left critics want to be famous/stars/visible but pristine too. They refuse power. Power is dirty. But Moore comes along, makes a picture that is critical of American foreign policy and that uses forbidden words/concepts like "class" and they're all over him. Why? Well, they'll get the air space won't they? Because Moore is momentarily in the public's eye, anyone who joins the conversation is also guaranteed a reflection in that eye. And, of course, if you're critical of Moore,

your'e more likely to get some air space.

But, you know. Fuck them. It doesn't matter. Moore will make enough money on this one to make more documentaries. He seems to be committed to doing what he's doing. He could have quite a while ago. The next documentary will make money too -- it's a virtuous cycle. People will get upset; neither the economy nor the war will get better. People will have more reason to get upset...and then, maybe, some leaders will emerge. Probably anarchists...looks like to me. Or certainly folks who can think out of the suicidal lefty box.

Joanna