[lbo-talk] Bush's best-paid advisors mostly male

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 13:10:47 PDT 2004

> At the White House, the gap has nothing to do with wage
> discrimination: Women and men with similar titles receive similar
> pay. Rather, it comes from the dominance of men in high-end jobs;

Another thing that I think I've noticed (I could be wrong on this): Women of some power are gender neutral or sexless or reclassified to more matronly images. Karen Hughes and Mary Matalin both left to assume "part time" or "retired" positions under the auspices of returning to their families. There's certainly nothing wrong with that (I like to fantasize that they became disillusioned with Shrub and just bolted), but I found it odd that two passionate women at the top of their game would suddenly take a less spectacular seat within months of each other. All the while, we're left with Condi Rice, clean cut, uber-professional and nearly sexless in her business suits.

My observation is probably all wet, but I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed this or can bring enlightenment to my theory.

In a related observation, I first noticed during the '88 political conventions for the Democrats and Republicans, and in every televised convention since, that a majority of Democratic women leaders tend to wear open or unstructured collars and various colors while their Republican counterparts favor high collars, structured clothing, lots of buttons and navy blue or red. Draw from that what you will.

So much for the silliness,

- Deborah R.

===== "The two real political parties in America are the Winners and the Losers. The people don't acknowledge this. They claim membership in two imaginary parties, the Republicans and the Democrats, instead." - Kurt Vonnegut