[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Jul 13 14:33:12 PDT 2004

Chris Doss crossposted:

> America’s Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore
> By Mark Ames ( editor at exile.ru )
> http://www.exile.ru/194/feature_story.html
>
> Here is the problem in a nut-shell: the Left is dominated by
> recoiling squid like Cohen, whose ink-squirting instinct is
> only triggered by the sight of someone who might actually help the
> cause.

Hilarious. Actually, these sorts of contradictions are everywhere in the US these days.

Two examples from my own field: the US academic theory-stars talk endlessly of solidarity, but how many have done any advocacy for jobs to offset the Great Humanities Meltdown? How many work in high schools and literacy programs or do anything constructive for the political struggles of education? (Vanishingly few.) The MLA is the official body charged with the teaching and study of narratives in the US. Why didn't their 2003 annual meeting have a single panel on something as basic as videogame culture (a $33 billion global industry, wildly popular with the kids, and one of the most innovative and influential art-forms around)? Un-freaking-believable.

-- DRR