[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Tue Jul 13 16:40:40 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

<< Yeah the phrase isn't very nice ... >>

"Whiny fags?" Yeah, not only "isn't very nice" but stupid, gratuitous, and totally counter-productive from any standpoint of effective rhetoric or propaganda. And it's lazy, sloppy writing. Change "whiny fags" to "whiners" and nothing is lost, except for some cheap assonance. (Do "fags" run in "packs"?)

And we didn't even get to "pimp-slapped"...

It's the kind of dumb thing Michael Moore would know never to do in his publications. Because, as Ames helpfully points out, Moore knows what he's doing.

These leftovers of the eXile's obnoxious-frat-boy house style are as self-limiting as any seminar-ready Left academic "discourse."

<< but the rest of the piece is just great ...>>

Right. So why does Ames shoot himself in the foot? He's exhibiting his own version of the pathology he's criticizing.

There are all kinds of ways for a self-defeating Left to defeat itself.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:39:22 -0400

...>>>brutocracy into a pack of whiny fags ...