[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Jul 13 17:56:54 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> joanna bujes wrote:
>
>> Yes, but...they didn't attack Erenreich; they didn't attack Doug.
>

> She's famous (and our beloved lurker Brad DeLong has attacked her,
> repeatedly). I'm totally obscure.

I don't think Brad qualifies as a left-winger. My point was though that there are certain kinds of lefties they don't attack in the way that they attack Moore.

I'm not crazy about Moore, though I think he is getting better as a filmmaker and may surprise us yet. But what I truly appreciate about him is that he doesn't make fun of the working class and that he doesn't fawn on the rich. That is truly rare in this culture. You don't do that either and it's one of the things I really like about you.

So far, the only thing that took me back about you was your enthusiasm for Madonna....but I attribute that to your Catholic childhood.

Best,

Joanna