[lbo-talk] outing scare in DC

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:08:16 PDT 2004

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>
>I saw a video clip on the evening news of Powell doing his Village People
>impersonation and was quite impressed. It wasn't as good as his Secretary
>of State impersonation but effective nonetheless.

[Would Powell have been less of a four-star Stepin Fetchit if he had gotten out and traveled more? I dunno, but I offer this for the record:]

Powell Flies in the Face of Tradition The Secretary of State Is Least Traveled in 30 Years

By Glenn Kessler Washington Post Staff Writer Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell hates to fly -- and it shows.

Powell is on track to become the least traveled secretary of state in more than three decades, since Henry A. Kissinger embodied the concept of the globe-trotting foreign policy guru, according to records maintained by the State Department's historian. Powell's three immediate predecessors, the records show, traveled an average of more than 45 percent more than he has.

... Powell's schedule puts him just slightly ahead of William P. Rogers, secretary of state from 1969 to 1973, who was largely overshadowed by Kissinger, then the national security adviser to President Richard M. Nixon. Powell is significantly behind George P. Shultz, Ronald Reagan's secretary of state, and would need to travel 45 more days in the next six months to catch up with Shultz's 225 days of travel over four years. ...

Powell, who lived and traveled overseas frequently during his lengthy military career, came into his current job without wanderlust. In his 1995 autobiography, "My American Journey," he wrote that "having seen much of the world and having lived on planes for years, I am no longer much interested in travel."

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48010-2004Jul13.html>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/