[lbo-talk] Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 7, Issue 149

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Jul 14 11:37:18 PDT 2004

paul wrote:

> Yes I've posted to infoshop under the pseudonym "rise" and had a large
> number of posts marked as "flamebait" - these were posts about 5-8 pages
> in length that were detailed critiques of the primitivist and
> pseudo-anarchist bull**** that routinely gets paraded around on that
> site. In addition he banned the outgoing IP from my college, and a
> popular ISP in western Canada, merely in an attempt to prevent me from
> posting to the site. Obviously his "censorship" policy has nothing to do
> with whether or not a comment is legitimately serious, or ethically
> acceptable, and has eveything to do with whether or not he politically
> agrees with the views expressed. Infoshop is a good example of what
> happens when a person has no accountability or responsibility, and
> merely censors things based on opposing ideological view [ie - if it's a
> real, social anarchist piece, he'll censor the fuck out of it more often
> than not].

Contrary to what a few antisocial assholes say about Infoshop News, the comments board is less moderated than most Indymedia websites that operate under the "open publishing" banner. People understand that Infoshop News has a moderated comments board. We have a clearly posted moderation and editorial policy. I will admit that I've been overzealous in moderating posts at times, but I have my bad days like any other human.

Paul ("Rise") was temporarily banned several times for posting sectarian flamebait on Infoshop News. As you can see from his post to LBO-list, he really is a pretty obnoxious sectarian. Paul operates on the assumption that he is the only true anarchist out there and that he has some kind of god-given right to annoy people with his narrow sectarianism. Infoshop.org is an ecumenical anarchist website that features a diverse range of anarchist thought, along with news, ideas, and views from leftists and people of other political stripes. Rise intensely hates Infoshop and misrepresents the website because it won't toe his narrow political line on primitivism. Paul is, of course, free to start his own website to promote his views.

Paul is not currently banned from Infoshop News. Hhe is free to post there as long as he doesn't violate the moderation guidelines. In fact, Paul has been free to post to Infoshop News for some time. There are currently only two people who are permanently banned from Infoshop News.

And the idea that I would "censor the fuck" out of a social anarchist piece is ludicrous, as I consider myself to be a social anarchist.

Chuck0 Infoshop News